E-commerce refers to the process by which online companies sell their brand products to potential customers via the Internet. Enterprises conducting their business operations in this sector often have to cater to the needs of thousands of customers. Moreover, almost all of these enterprises operate numerous back-end business software solutions which have no data connectivity with their online storefront. As a result, the companies face immense challenges when it comes to:
- Co-ordinating the activities of their trading partners and other third-party logistic providers,
- Fulfilling their customers’ purchase orders on time,
- Obtaining real-time inventory and order status updates, and
- Maintaining quality online traffic on their e-commerce storefront to boost visitor conversion.
What is e-commerce platform integration?
E-commerce platform integration refers to the procedure of simplifying inter-connectivity between companies’ e-commerce storefront with their important back-end business solutions. These generally include enterprise resource planning (ERP), customer relationship management (CRM), inventory, sales, marketing, and accounting systems.
The software solution which the companies choose to integrate these systems should be compatible enough to incorporate smartphone applications. Only then can the enterprises ensure seamless data connectivity and transmission between the various business software solutions. This implies that the companies’ employees only have a record of a piece of information in one business system. The other business software solution automatically reflects it on their databases.
Need for e-commerce integration
Many online companies are generally skeptical of introducing e-commerce platform integration in their businesses. The directors and top executives of these enterprises urge the cost considerations of introducing this procedure often outweigh the benefits. However, implementing a solution to integrate critical business software systems with the e-commerce storefront enables them to maintain data integrity. This ensures information relating to customer details, product description, inventory levels, sales orders, invoices, and advance shipping notices remain constant.
Integration between the e-commerce storefront and business software solutions eliminates the need to monitor data movement between the various systems. This helps to boost internal productivity and enhance the customers’ buying experience.
The advantages of installing and operating an e-commerce platform integration solution for companies conducting e-commerce business operations are as follows;
- Maintains accurate and consistent business data without having to resort to manual processing,
- Ensures consistency in inventory, product availability, and prices across various selling channels,
- Analyzes business silos to enhance internal workplace efficiency and employee engagement,
- Boosts the customers’ buying experience regardless of selling channel or smartphone application they use,
- Ensures customers receive accurate real-time data regarding their order status, and
- Exploits new lucrative online markets without disturbing existing ones.
Operating an e-commerce platform integration solution enables online companies to take their business operations to the next level. They can maintain data integrity between their e-commerce storefronts and the various business software solutions which constitute their IT infrastructure.
This helps to boost internal efficiency and enhances the customer experience. However, the platform integration solution the companies select should be compatible with their other important business solutions. In addition, it should adopt the latest artificial intelligence and machine learning technology to seamlessly ensure complete integration between the various systems.